Home

Monday, September 7, 2015

Scheduling Life Around Running - It's a New Thing!!!

Colorado Marathon QTs
Last year I registered for my very first half marathon which I gave myself almost a full year to train for.  I couldn't run to the stop sign at the end of my street without walking when I started my training.  The training kept me motivated in the winter cold, snow, and ice to continue running.  I pretty much despise running on a treadmill but training for the half even forced some treadmill running when the ice was too scary.  I came in at the back of the pack - but I did it!!!  A victory I would never have imagined.
Zoe, Claire, and Vanessa
took their moms out for a fun race!





At some point I will have to share the story of why it is such a miracle that I am running at all -- but by God's grace, I have come to enjoy running thoroughly.  In fact, the whole family has taken joy in running.  Emma and Ray completed the half marathon with me (Emma with a torn hip labram).  Ben ran his first season of track in the spring and KILLED it!  He was one of the top 7th grade runners for his school.  Jake has chosen to run cross-country this fall much to my surprise and has been working to best his own times each day - and has succeeded each and every time!  Zoe and I just did a Color Run 5K on Saturday morning from which I am still blowing blue snot 2 days later.




We LOVE Garden of the Gods


Ray and I started doing some trail running and it is has become another joy in our lives.  The undulating ground beneath my feet - jumping over rocks, down the path, up the inclines, and the back to back pacing over wash-outs - is just fun!  There's no joking about the fact that it is a lot tougher than the running I was doing to prepare for my half-marathon - but in a totally different way.

Today we ran our normal 4 mile route at Garden of the Gods and it about killed me.  I have not run that particular trail in over a month and I ended up walking almost the entire last two miles because my right leg felt so incredibly weak. The difficulty was a surprise -- I'm going back tomorrow -- I have to build some more muscle!!!



After our run today we had a conversation about our concern for winter.  We have thoroughly enjoyed our trail running since June but once winter comes, the ice on the trails will keep me away.  I am not willing to injure myself and risk months of recovery over ice!

So....I started looking into some CA winter runs.  I've got it narrowed down to two - the Seaside Half or the Surf City Half which are both in February.  Although I am feeling quite confident that the Surf City Run is going to win.  The website is way more fun and inviting ;)  This gives me the opportunity to visit my daughter, stay with a friend, and keep motivated through November, December, and January with my exercise!  I'm so super excited!!!!


Following this, I plan to run in the Garden of the God's 10 miler in June.  That gives me March, April, and May for training.  Since it is a trail run, it requires a different type of training - but also gets me through Colorado's tough spring months.  Spring is the toughest time in CO for me with it's manic weather.

Looking at the map of the run gives my heart a bit of a leap of fear.  But last year I couldn't run to the stop sign - this year I completed a half.  Although this 10 miles has been described as more difficult than a full - I am excited for the challenge!!!


That's it - just sharing a bit of excitement for the running that's ahead.  I have never planned a budget or life around training for races.  This is pretty fun!!!


!!!!RUN FRIENDS!!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Hearing from my readers is a great blessing. Whether you just stop by to say "Hi," share your own story, or ask a question, please do let me know what you thought of the post.